4/23/2008

Song of the week--I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen

The focus of this week (and also next week) is on Donne's poetry, in which LOVE is repeatedly presented as something positive in a dark world. The capacity of LOVE is so intense that it can eclipse time, space, and the conventional demands of custom and society. As a poet who praises human love for its almighty power, Donne is the best! Although his cunning and slipperiness make us frequently doubt if he is serious or tongue-in-cheek, he indeed has the power to have his readers totally carried away.

Below is our song of the week, a canonical love song written/sung by Leonard Cohen, a Canadian poet, novelist, singer and songwriter. It is also about LOVE,but is with a modern streak. The second video is a queer rendition of Cohen's "I'm Your Man," a performance punctuated with transgressive sexiness and titillation.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was a love song between two lovers ; however, in the middle of the song it changed into the song of begging. The lyrics are all talking about that he is willing to be used by that woman; it is hard for a man to do what he mentioned in the song . I think that he was just trying to convince the woman that he loved her ,but he will not actually do what he sang.


Ivy Wu

Anonymous said...

Wow! The second video performed by the drag king singing "I'm Your Man" is even sexier than any biological male could reach. I'm melting!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Aladdin.
OMG she is so hot!!

I love it sooooooooo much!

Anonymous said...

i am not interesting in woman at all; however, i'd agree with Aladdin that "He" is so charming and reliable. I think no woman cannot be moved by "his" wholehearted sing. if there were a man sining a song for me like this, i'll marry him without any ohter thinking.

Anonymous said...

GOSH!WHY DOES THAT MAN LOOK SO "BRETTY"!? but he's appearance makes me feel that he's a little "smooth-tongued".
anyway, if someone really gonna loves me like that,i think i'd have nothing to ask about lol~
"action speaks louder than words"
i hope he could show me his love,it'd be nicer if he could do it, more than js sayin:)

Anonymous said...

sry~is"pretty">_<

Anonymous said...

A reply to Krystal: Why is "he" so pretty? Because he is a she as a he.

Anonymous said...

I love the middle part of the lyrics--"I've been running through these promises to you That I made and I could not keep." It's the essence of the song! What a real-life discription!

Chiki said...

Cohen's voice is sexy! Also that drag king is really hot as a 'he.' The lyric, or the poem, was also romantic and somehow sexy. I love the 'doctor' part, it really aroused me something.

Anonymous said...

it's nice!
I love it~

Chiki said...

I've found another very impressive song written by Leonard Cohen, it called "Hallelujah". The version performed by Susanna and the magical orchestra is fantastic! Also the lyric is very beautiful and full of biblical story. Check it out!