Shown below are some possible questions that will appear in the final exam. Good luck!
I. Mrs. Dalloway
See the 5/13th blog post
II. The Virgin and the Gipsy
See the 5/28th blog post
III. T.S. Eliot:
1. Describe the various schools and influences from which Eliot inherited to create his peculiar brand of modern poetry.
2. When Prufrock arrives at the “room,” he finds that the women are talking of Michelangelo. What does this “talking of Michelangelo” suggest to us about Prufrock’s emotional situation, his psychological conflict and dilemma?
3. Explain Eliot’s “Impersonal theory” of poetry as he proposes in his “Tradition and the Individual Talent.”
4. How does Eliot manipulate the tension between contemporaneity and antiquity in “The Waste Land”? Use at least two examples to demonstrate his technique of juxtaposition of the present and the past.
5. Name the titles of the 5 sections of “The Waste Land.”