Write an essay (250-300 words) based on ONE of the following questions:
- In Anton Chekhov'e "The Lady with the Dog," what is Gurov's attitude toward his affair with Anna at the outset? What is Anna's attitude? What are some indications that both Gurov and Anna are unprepared for the relationship that develops between them?
- in James Joyce's "Araby," how do the first three paragraphs characterize the environment in which the narrator lives?
- Discuss the denotation and connotations of the word "fever" in Edith Wharton's short story. How do these layers of connotation contribute to the theme of the story?
- In "A Jury of Her Peers," Mrs. Peters is "married to the law" (in the form of her husband the sheriff), whereas Mrs. Hale is married to the farmer who first discovered the murder. In what ways, including dress, speech and manners, action, and attitude, are the two visiting women alike or different? In what ways do they identify with or distance themselves from the absent wife, Mrs. Wright? How and why do the men and women take sides separately or together?
- In your experience of reading Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Birth-Mark," do you think that Aylmer's actions are justifiable? Do you admire or disapprove of him? What main ideas--themes--does the author explore?
**** Pay attention to the word count. Late submission within 7 days will receive the 90% discount of grade. Late submission beyond 7 days and less than minimum word count will receive no grade.